Stephanie's Photos

Friday, December 28, 2007

God does everything for a reason...

This morning, during my quiet time with the Lord, I read a devotion out of, Experiencing God, written by Henry Blackaby.

Do Not Prove Disobedient
Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision. Acts 26:19

God does everything for a reason. God met Saul of Tarsus on the Damascus road for a purpose. Saul had planned to persecute Christians, but his encounter with Christ changed him forever. God did more in that encounter than save Saul from his sin. God began to reveal His will for Paul's life. God's assignment for Paul was clear: "He is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him many things he must suffer for My name's sake" (Acts 9:15-16)

God's plan for Paul, revealed through a vision, involved both testifying before kings and suffering persecution. Paul was to enjoy the thrill of performing miracles, preaching to large crowds, and starting churches. But Paul was also to be stoned, shipwrecked, whipped, mocked, conspired against, and imprisoned (2 Corinthians 11:23-28). Would we accept this part of his assignment as readily as the first? We never hear of Paul complaining about his commission from God. He never asked that he be given a role like Peter's, or James's, or John's (Galatians 2:9-10). It was enough for Paul that he be given any task in the kingdom of God. AS he neared the end of his ministry, Paul could boldly state to King Agrippa, "I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision."

Oh, to have Paul's tenacity and devotion to the Father's will! What joy there is not only to begin will in our Christian faith, but also to end faithfully! It is God's desire that each of us could say at the end of our lives, "I was not disobedient."


Wow! Isn't that amazing?! I was left speechless after I read that this morning. It made me think. It made me examine my life. Am I following after the mission, the calling that he has planted in my heart? Will I go through with it? Even if it is hard...and difficult...and painful...? Will I? Will I follow after the heavenly vision that the Lord has so heavily laid upon the very depths of my soul?

Steph

1 comment:

Simply Mandy said...

Thanks for posting that Steph. You can't imagine how encouraging that is to me. :-)